Monday, February 11, 2013

Unemployment Weekend 1


Applied for a job.

It took roughly an hour and a half.

It's a temp position, which is what I want. Nothing permanent; nothing with the hint of permanence, or the expectation of permanence.

The company uses the Taleo system, so there's almost no chance my resume will get through.

For while I tailored the cover letter to include many of the key words of the job ad, I don't think I sufficiently changed my resume.

I should've taken three hours.

That's why job placement is now, more than ever, via friends and acquaintances. Resumes and cover letters must be modified to include key words that get you through as many system filters as possible. People who've work at the company for years probably can't get their resumes through the system. So if you know someone on the inside, you might be able to get an interview.

But because I don't have a specific field in mind, I have to modify every resume and cover letter I use in an application. It's not that I don't use the keywords as a guide, or even in my resume, but…I'm not used to writing for a machine. I'm not used to writing in a specific (and frankly, unknown) style just to prove I'm worthy of consideration.

It's disheartening.

No comments: