Sunday, July 8, 2012

Saturday


Another day in the life.

My 11:30 cancelled, so instead of searching for parking at Peet's, I was able to read both newspapers and watch all of Young Justice and half of Green Lantern.

Which made me slightly late to the memorial service.

Alex was ~2 ½ months my senior. We answered the call to discipleship* the same Sunday. When he, declaring his desire to follow Christ and be baptized, stood, it gave me the courage to respond to the stirrings in my heart. I followed.

Now he has preceded me in death. It's not simply the shock of him being my age; this is someone I knew. An acquaintance, but I knew his name. I'd experienced his smile.

Since I was running late, I drove wearing the 2 ½ inch cork wedges that complemented my sundress. It was a good thing I put driving shoes in the car for the trip home, because by that time, blisters had formed.

Beauty Battle Score: Cute Shoes 1, Edem 0.

A bowl of cereal, a glass of water, bandages, a change into skinny jeans, a change of purse – and off to San Francisco for the screening of the film I worked on, Tell.

There was no traffic. Six o'clock on a Saturday night, and there no traffic on the approach, the metering lights weren't on. . .it was nice. I freaked out a little.

The film screened at The Castro – a hip neighborhood devoid of parking.

I felt a muscle strain as I drove uphill (I drive a stick shift) and ouch, it felt tender when I finally parked the car. Still, I changed into my other cute shoes (4 ½ inch wedges) and walked to the theater.

Downhill, of course.

Beauty Battle Score: Cute Shoes 2, Edem 0.

It was incredible to see Tell. The opening sequence was amazing (a breathless 45? seconds that took a day to shoot). The entire film flowed so nicely. I do wish I could've gotten a better shirt for one of the characters (I worked on costume, among other things). Nonetheless, I'm proud to have been a part of it.

Better than the movie was seeing the cast and crew I worked with, and other members of the Scary Cow collective I knew. I miss them. I smile thinking about them.

The casting director for Tell made her own film. Molly demonstrated the oh my awesome salesmanship of a persistent little girl. I could not stop smiling while the story unfolded. It's a rated G movie you don't have to bring your kids to. Dear Hollywood, please make some films like this. Or are you so busy with tent poles I should ask Netflix & Yahoo instead? (This film would do very well internationally, I think.)

Business Affairs: Pete & Veronica was another film I enjoyed. Simple, sweet, romantic – right up my alley. And no kissing! It's not that I'm against kissing, but the thing deserves a light touch more often than not. More like Captain America and not like Thor (Zoom out! What you do you think this is, NBC coverage of an Olympic medal ceremony?) I'm like the boy in the theatre who said "Eww! They're Kissing!" when I saw Attack of the Clones.


A day of happy, a day of grief. My Saturday.


* It is the part of the service after the sermon, where the deacons come to the front with chairs and the preacher invites anyone who will to come 1) accept Christ, 2) become of candidate for baptism, 3) re-dedicate their life to Christ. (There might be more, but that's the three I remember).

No comments: