Monday, June 25, 2012

Road Trip!


Musings from my recent road trip:

Man, it takes a long time to get to Patterson!

The rest stops along Highway 99 seem nicer than along 5. No hooks on the door for the purse. Holes on the door latch for the stalls. Ugh.

I purposely left my house late and I still got to my destination early. <sigh>.

I was going to take the 101 instead of the 405, but the latter was a straight shot. It was too late to change when I saw construction.

There are signs that say, 'if you see dust while we're working, call…' What? You're digging in dirt. Why wouldn't there be dust? I mean, shouldn't there be dust?

The CHP motorcycle cop standing on the side of the road points to a car to tell it to pull over. He's not playing witchoo. Don't make him get on his bike.

Have you seen truckers drive on the highway? They are always cutting each other off. Nobody trips, either. No brake lights or anything. Crazy.

"HipHop Trucking" And you don't stop.

The Sofitel Hotel is posh. Not because it's across from the Beverly Center, or because the staff greets you in French. The food is an indicator Рrisotto instead of rice, cr̬me brule so small one had to resist the urge suck it down like an oyster on the half shell. But the proof is the bathroom. Sufficiently dark to render makeup touch-ups a lost cause. Automatic flush toilets, automatic soap dispensers (foaming, bien sur) and automatic faucets. And a basket of towels, neatly rolled and stacked. Not useless finger towels; swatches of terry cloth large enough to dry both hands. Posh.

I got lost, of course. Beverly Drive is not Beverly Blvd. The Beverlywood neighborhood is quite lovely, though roundabout instructions are inane. "Through traffic keep right". Two feet later, at the stop sign, "Right lane must turn right." What?

I was late, according to my calculations, and I hate being late. Turns out I wasn't late for the first keynote speaker. I did, however, miss the yummy breakfast pastries. A berry medley had to do.

Wait, what? El Torito still exists? And there's one on Wilshire and Rodeo?

No comments: