Friday, September 12, 2008

Why Am I Taking Calculus?

I want to get an MBA. I've been thinking about it off and on for the past 10 years or so, and have finally gotten serious about it.

I took Accounting 1A at the local junior college so I wouldn't be totally lost when I took the MBA courses. I finished up with 1B this past spring, and am now taking calculus to demonstrate proficiency in math. I'll follow up with Statistics, and then apply to at least Cal State East Bay (i.e., Hayward).

My initial plan was to focus on tech (I'm a quasi computer nerd). But I found that I like accounting. So I'm exploring the possibilities of a 'straight' accounting career, as well as the combination accounting and tech.

********
It's a curious thing. We just started derivatives, and I almost think I understand calculus better this time around. I certainly don't feel as helplessly lost as I did in undergrad. My theory will be tested on Test #2.

Thursday, he talked about the other way to write derivatives. Thus far, we've been using the f'(x) notation. He briefly talked about the dy/dx notation. The class groaned, "why are you confusing us?" For me, a light bulb went off. I remember that! I think it helped confuse me way back when!

Apparently, this week coming up, the hard stuff begins. The teacher said that, if we don't get what he's teaching next week (not necessarily in a day, but eventually), we might as well drop the class.

The snowball's picking up speed.

No comments: