Sunday, September 7, 2008

The Adventures in Calculus Continue

We had our first test, and I got an 81%. This is kinda I expected when I left the test. I figured that I either missed 2 problems, getting me in the 80th percentile, or I bombed. Praise the Lord that it was the former.

The bad part is that I made silly mistakes. To think I could've gotten into the mid-B range. My favorite example:

f(x)=2x2+7. Solve f(x+h)
Here was my "thought" process:

f(x+h)=2(x+h)2+7
=2(x+h)(x+h)+2
=2(x2+2xh+h2)+2
=2x2+4xh+2h2+2
=2(x2+2xh+h2+1)

What?!

There are math lab assignments every week. The math lab is a place where you can get help, if needed. According to the registration information, an hour of math lab is required in addition to the regular class time.

We sign in at a computer, which essentially clocks us in and out. Our assignments are to be retrieved from vertical file cabinet A and turned in to lateral file cabinet B, with assignments located in the folder labeled with our class number (e.g., Math 55). So I now spend a minimum of an extra hour on campus. That means less time for dinner and the paper for me.

Our most recent lab assignment involved using the fancy graphing calculator. I needed the little reference guide in order to do most of the assignment. For the one part I couldn't get, and I had to go online and download the 500+ page manual. Do I have a better understanding? Ha! I'll be going to the math lab to ask somebody why I'm doing what I'm doing.

It's a bit frustrating, actually. To read and not be able to understand. And I'm reading in my native language? Dude.

No comments: