Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Test of Tuesday - Psych!

The hard stuff came. Product Rule, Quotient Rule, Chain Rule. He even did a proof (though we don't have to know it). It didn't look that hard, until we started doing problems in class. They take so long! And when you start mixing product rule with chain rule…it's nasty!

The test was slated for Tuesday. I studied the best I could, but I still have problems simplifying the more complex problems. When I arrived, there were many parking spaces available in one of the lots that is closer to my classroom. (That should've been my first clue that something was amiss.) Then there was the LPFD truck next to the Security Center. And students standing around, not quite milling, but definitely ejected from their classrooms.

So I made my way to the bathroom. Before I hit the building, the lights went out. Everywhere. A man in a green shirt was telling people that they had to evacuate the campus.

So I went to class. (Before I leave campus, I want to make sure that the test is cancelled.) Our teacher told us to hang out for a minute…then the man in the green shirt said, 'We have to evacuate because the power has been shut down. So if you could all go to your cars, and get in them, and leave…that would be great.' I heard someone say "Jesus loves me!" as I walked to my car.

I didn't see anything in the newspaper this morning, so I still don’t' know what happened that inspired first the evacuation of classrooms and then the shutdown of power to evacuate the school. But I'm keeping my eyes peeled.

I now have an extra day to study (which I don't plan to do), as well as an opportunity to get help in the math lab (which I will most likely do). I still expect to either fail miserably or get in the 80% range. Still, I'm not hating it. Yet.

No comments: