Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Pots de Crème

Next stop on the custard making train: pots de crème. (Pronounced poh-de-crem – think French.)

Specifically, chocolate pots de crème, per this recipe; except I used 8oz of bittersweet chocolate instead of 9oz of whatever chocolate they had.

A tip for newbies like me: The recipe calls for heating the milk/cream/egg mixture on the stove, then pouring the hot liquid over the chocolate (which is in a blender). You may find solid-ish stuff stuck to the bottom of your pot as you pour – DO NOT SCRAPE THOSE SOLIDS INTO THE BLENDER. I am convinced I avoided adding scrambled egg to my dessert by leaving those solids in the pot.

A lick of the spatula before I put them in the fridge suggested good things to come. What I didn't expect was such a luxuriously decadent pot o' chocolate cream. It's my favorite custard yet.

Should you make chocolate pots de crème, I recommend adding a dollop of whipped the cream prior to serving, per the recipe. It would cut and complement the chocolate. I imagine some sort of hazelnut flavored whipped cream would be a lovely.

As in: Use a hand beater or a stand mixer to whip the heavy cream, some sugar, and some hazelnut-flavored something (syrup? liqueur?) into yummy goodness.

Next time I’m going to look for and use a Mexican or Mexican-style chocolate; something that has the chilies and spices already in the chocolate bar.

Creamy chocolate decadence with a little kick. That would do nicely, no?

Mmmmm. Pots o' Chocolate

No comments: