Thursday, January 12, 2017

Slow Morning

School Traffic, I thought, as I drove past cars seeking to go south on Beverly Glen.

School Traffic, I reconfirmed to myself, maneuvering past cars turning left onto Kester Avenue.

That's not School Traffic, I realized, as I approached a long line of cars that had created a makeshift left turn lane.

Also, it was 6:15 AM, which is far too early for kids to be on their way to the local schools.

What is going on?

I eventually drove past the freeway on-ramp, which was CLOSED - Orange cones in all the relevant lanes. Two Caltrans trucks, one with a trailer, slid slowly out of the crawl of traffic and into neutral spaces, waiting. I settled into resignation as a heavy sprinkle began.

I graced the office with my presence at 8:00 AM, knees aching from spending almost two hours in my stick shift, inching over the Sepulveda Pass, mostly in first gear.

Turns out, there had been a car chase in the latenight/early morning hours; a portion of the freeway had to be closed because it was a crime scene.

Which was a bit of a relief. I thought a dignitary might've been in town.

No comments: