Friday, December 6, 2013

The Sound of Music LIVE! – A Review

Be on the safe side. Assume there are spoilers.

First, what it was not – a televised version of the 1965 Julie Andrews/Christopher Plummer film. No, this was a production of the 1959 theatrical musical, staged specifically for television. The live element meant sets and costumes could not be as lavish as a well-budgeted T.V. show. It was theatre, in that sense. Yet being televised meant actors had marks to hit for the benefit of the cameras. Stand there and look left so the director can get a close-up. An interesting hybrid of theatre and film, this production.

Let's talk about Carrie Underwood. She's not Julie Andrews, and that's okay. Her singing was fine. But her acting

Ghoh, it's like ripping off a band-aid

wasn't very good. Mostly wooden. An unfortunate drag on the production.

(I flatter myself in thinking I could play the role - had I the ability to stay on key when I sing. But I give myself too much credit – I would have severe breath control issues were I singing and bouncing on a bed simultaneously.)

Still, I enjoyed it. This televised theatre thing is pretty cool. I liked the sets. The magic of costuming was clear, from the elegance of Frau Schrader, to the journey of Maria.

Other thoughts about the broadcast (aka, what I would have live-tweeted):

Not feeling the lighting in the abbey for How Do You Solve a Problem Like Maria. Folks seem to be in shadow.

So sorry the actors don’t get an audience's reaction. But thankful there's nothing akin to a laugh track

Lederhosen! And a dimpled chin! #Rolf

Seriously, I want to do the Landler at my wedding #firstdance

Church is a place of refuge. Or it should be

This Snickers commercial w/Kenny G is why I love Kenny G. He laughs at himself. Loudly.

Where do they put the boom mics in this type of production?

Oh, you betta cut to commercial after Climb Every Mountain

And the commercial has a Be Encouraged message. Nice follow-up Allstate. Nice.

Do love that SHN has commercials. Wanna see real theatre?

No Way to Stop It reminds me of South Pacific, You Have to Be Taught. Reminds me Rogers & Hammerstein were subversive. The Sound of Music movie seems tame in comparison.

Fast scene changes = great production design, no?

That clock bracelet? I'm giggling, Jack-In-The Box. Giggling.

I love their hats! (3rd place winners of the festival)

Two different interpretations of Fraulein Schweiger (movie vs. this production). I like 'em both.

If you like The Sound of Music, watch this version once. Like a many adaptations, you'll be inspired to experience the source material.

See you at the theatre,

No comments: