Monday, October 25, 2010

Why Are School Girl Outfits Sexy?

The plaid skirt, knee high socks, crisp white blouse and cardigan that is apparently the staple of many a teenage girl who attends a private high school.


(So I've heard. I didn't go to a private high school, but I did go to private elementary schools. Had all the gear, in two different colors to boot.)

Why is the involuntary garb of a teenager (or in my case, child) sexy when worn by a woman? Why is dressing like a minor a turn on?

I ask because of the GQ-Glee controversy. No controversy to "mainstream" media – women posing as sex objects is acceptable and de rigueur. And I agree with the argument that technically, it's not pedophilia because the photographs involved adults.

However

Am I correct in understanding that the women were portraying teenagers in high school?

Am I correct in understanding that the location was meant to represent high school?

Am I correct in understanding that the target audience for GQ is 25-39 year olds? Hip Generation X men?

If I'm not, then okay, this is just unfortunate par for the course. I have issues with the 'female as sex object' motif.

But if I am correct, then why is it a good thing for 30-something men to be ogling high schoolers? Why is it okay to encourage men to look at teenagers as objects to satiate sexual dreams and satisfy sexual desires?

Why are school girl outfits sexy?

No comments: