Saturday, November 10, 2012

My First Music Audition


A director I work with said, one of the best things for an actor to do is to work with as many different directors as possible. So I've been scouting theatre groups. I inquired about something I noticed on one's website

and was asked to audition. More specifically, to sing an upbeat contempo song and do a comedic monologue.

I was Thrilled. Confused. Terrified.

They want me to audition!

Wait –they know I'm a novice, right?

Oh no. They want me to sing. (Some of you have seen me karaoke.)

Yep. The sum total of emotions was terrified. But I was determined to face my fear. I would sing a song in front of people. And I would smile while doing it.

First, to make sure I understood what an uptempo song was. (Thank you, Internet.) Then, to verify my choice with a musician I know. After which, instrumental music acquired for practice. (iTunes got the hook up, yo.) A quick question to the auditioner – iPod okay? Nope – sheet music. Panic. Some direction on how to find my key and order music… scurrying in an unsuccessful attempt to verify my guesstimate …and prayer. Lots and lots of prayer.

Then there was the comedic monologue. Some books from the library, some scanning for the funny bone to be tickled. It was a challenge. Comedy is hard, and I'm not a naturally funny person. That is; when I try to be funny, it's often disastrous. But my accidental puns are golden.

The day of my audition was one of calm. It reminded me of midterms: while everyone else was cramming in panic, I was doing the crossword.

Naturally, I got lost on the way. None of the distractingly beautiful buildings seemed to have visible address numbers. I took one of two available parking spaces and lo and behold, it was right in front of the building I was looking for. Thanks, God.

The pianist was not great with my music, which was awkward. I have no doubt he is an excellent musician – I blame the sheet music I brought. I did the best I could, singing and smiling and moving a bit. I tried to act without losing the lyrics. Closed my eyes to hit the high note. (Which I didn't really hit, but I didn't crack, either.) When I finished, I realized I was having fun. I was sort of sad it was over.

Next was what turned out to be my least favorite part of the audition. The monologue. It wasn't an unmitigated disaster – I got a chuckle here and there. But it wasn't fun. I know right? I like acting, you'd think it would be down with a monologue. But one of the things I like about acting is the interaction. I had no actor to bounce off of or talk to. C'est la vie, but it was kinda horrible.

Then we (there were five of us) were asked to harmonize on a little number. Umm…You   You want that I should stay on key? I tried, I really did. I suspect I was unsuccessful. But I enjoyed everyone else's voices. It all sounded so beautiful.

Finally, a dance routine. Most fun of the night. I failed miserably. Enjoyed every second. Face screwed up in concentration, trying to remember the moves we were taught. Attempting to act it out, not simply dance. You know how you extroverts feel after a party, all jazzed and ready to post a gazillion updates or call your friends to gab some more? That's how I felt when I drove home after the audition. (Science nerds, shh! I know it was just the adrenaline from (literally) jumping up and down. I'm takin' the feel good feeling regardless of the cause.)

I haven't heard back yet, but I was pleased with my performance. I was not terrified singing a song in front of a panel of people. I'm actually eager to try it again. If I get a part, it's gravy.

No comments: