Saturday, November 10, 2012

Artsy Craftsy


I watch HGTV and DIY Network. I know you can spray paint anything. I thought I'd try to do two frames.

From purchase

To sanded

To primed

To painted

Voila!

Turns out I didn't need to sand the backs of the frames. The hardest part was getting the latch hooks into the frames. Despite my measurements, the car gave me trouble. I eventually smashed it in there, but it seems vewy vewy fwagile. No, I don't know why that came out like Elmer Fudd. Got anything you want me to spray paint?

********************

Have you been to JoAnn's? Home of fabric, yarn, jewelry making/scrapbook/cake decorating stuff? They also have classes. I've taken several.

First, knitting. Two needles, one ball of yarn, two stitches, infinite possibilities. What I learned from my practice runs

knit with jail bars...a new motif?

Aim for a 4 x 4 square, get a micro halter top?

Or the beginnings of an apron?

  
And my first project

It's supposed to be a dishcloth. A rectangular dishcloth. With sharp, 90 degree corners.
 
Is that my superpower is the ability to add and drop stitches unawares.

Now I'm on my first scarf. A simple garter stitch to finish off a ball of yarn. I hope it's long enough for me to wear.

********************


Crocheting was hard at first. It took me 30 minutes to tie the knot that starts the thing off. And with only one implement, my hand had to be steady and supply the right amount of tension. I left the class with this

Stitch sampler. Now if I can only remember what the stitches are...


I've since discovered it's easier to crochet on an airplane (or in the airport) than to knit. One tool, some yarn, and go go go. I found a project online that led me to make these beauties

Pot holder 1

Pot Holder 2


Now it's on to a scarf. And the daunting task of counting 224 chain stitches. I might have to modify the pattern a bit.

********************


So quilting  is  work. Cut fabric. Iron. Pin. Sew. Press out seams. Sew. Press out seams. Sew. Press out seams. The challenges were finding a way to have the hot iron and my sewing machine accessible and in the same room. And sewing the seam correctly, keeping it to a quarter inch.



I like the result. And I have just enough information to turn old clothes into a patchwork of something. I have a lot of cutting, pressing, pinning and sewing ahead of me.

No comments: