Wednesday, December 15, 2010

An Edem Update

This quarter I took Finance and Executive Leadership. To my surprise, I found elements of the finance course interesting. And much to my delight, I did decently in the stock market game we had to play. However, I did do poorly enough on the final to earn a B+ - I had an A- going in.

There is a lot of leadership theory out there. A lot. And the question of whether leadership is inherent or can be taught remains. But I got to watch most of 12 Angry Men, which I then had to go get from the library because there was not enough class time to finish the movie. So sad they couldn't sell a movie like that today! One set, no explosions (except what comes out of the actors' mouths). Don't get me wrong, I like a blowed up as much as the next girl. But man oh man! Could you imagine?

I got a lot out of both classes, from both the instruction and the (dreaded) group work. I'm still digesting it all.

Next up – Supply Chain and Negotiation. Supply Chain is a predominately online class. I don't particularly like online classes, so it will be interesting.

One thing's for sure - I'll be renting books again this quarter. Chegg is the best bargain of them all.

I've been working camera and shader as part of the production team at my church. I think my camera work is improving - I felt really good about this past Sunday; everything felt smooooth. And the day before was long and tiring (but enjoyable – a Wizard of Oz tap extravaganza that included a Tom Jones-ish version of Welcome to the Jungle (opening chords were piano) that would be appropriate for Disney, a techno version of The Lion Sleeps Tonight which might’ve been in Madagascar, and Ella (Fitzgerald) singing Ding Dong the Witch is Dead.)

Shading is a different story. A shader adjusts the brightness, so what is seen on the screen is consistent between cameras. But what I see is not quite what the director sees is not quite what is seen on screen. And the brightness is affected by the lighting on stage. And what is bright to me is not always bright to anyone else. Nor am I skilled enough to constantly adjust between cameras when the speaker consistently walks into (and out of) a dark spot on stage.

I do, however, know enough to crank it down when someone comes onstage to speak – the way the band is lighted is significantly different than when someone is giving announcements. So I've learned something.

I'll be spending the next few weeks hopefully getting one of my many sewing projects finished (or at least moved farther along.) and trying to gear up for next quarter.

May your days be merry and bright,

No comments: