Monday, August 7, 2017

Siggi Icelandic Style Yogurt – A Review

I have a complicated relationship with dairy. While I regularly cook with butter, and consider ice cream to be a major food group, milk and creams can be tricky. Sometimes even the powdered stuff can incite gaseousness.

Then there's yogurt. Despite sticking to 0% milkfat, it's a once a month affair, if that. Upon venturing into the arena of concentrated dairy protein, I usually gather an assortment of Chobani Greek flavors. This time, I decided to try Siggi, an Icelandic style yogurt. I had this coupon, see.

This stuff is thick. Looking like you could stick a spoon in it and turn the container upside down kind of thick. Vigorous stirring didn't produce much slackening, either. Unexpected for 0% milkfat.

Siggi's not very sweet, regardless of whether the flavor is vanilla or a fruit such as blueberry, raspberry, or strawberry. It has the unmistakably sharp tang of plain yogurt. Most would probably be inclined to add honey or some sort of sweetening thing.

As for those fruit flavors, the fruit doesn't sit on the bottom of the container like a syrupy pie filling. It's already blended into the yogurt, tinting it an appropriate color, chunks of fruit visible. Unfortunately, I couldn't taste the fruit; for me, it was overpowered by that plain yogurt tang.

Would I buy it again?

I don't think so. I like the thickness, and while the relative lack of sweetness aligns with my efforts to reduce my sugar intake, it's not sweet enough for me. In the long run, I would overcompensate by adding too much honey or agave syrup, diminishing any healthful benefits this brand and style of yogurt may be able to bestow.

However

Siggi Vanilla + freshly diced mango + ice cubes + favored liquid blended into a smoothie?

Probable deliciousness.

No comments: