Saturday, March 8, 2014

Hello, Brentwood

It's March. A new job, a new city, a new commute.

West of Beverly Hills is Brentwood. Some of you remember it as the home of Brian "Kato" Kaelin (that's all I'm going to say about that).

My first day of work, I left at 7am with the hopes of arriving before 9, without getting lost.

I succeeded on one count.

The route was Beverly Glen to Sunset to Beverly Glen to Wilshire to San Vincente, U-turn at Montana, San Vicente to the parking garage.

But, as Bugs Bunny might say, I should've taken a left at Albuquerque. Or rather, that second Beverly Glen. Unable to handle the funky intersection, I stayed on Sunset.

I'm driving past Bel Air on my left!

Oh, snap, I'm crossing the 405! I am so lost.

Barrington! I know that street! I think I know where I

Nope. I have no clue where I am. Pull over.


The streets in this part of down bisect each other in ways only a Geometry teacher would appreciate.

Within a block of each other are a Peet's, a Starbucks, and a Coffee Bean.

I'm not saying I'm homesick, but it warms the cockles of my heart when I see a Peet's. Bay Area!

The office is within walking distance of the three coffee pubs, across the street from a Whole Foods, and less than a block away from the Public Library. There's a Burger Lounge, where apparently so little meat is offered, a certain Wendy's commercial should be revived.


I returned to Sunset for my journey home,

I am driving past UCLA, aren't I?

Almost turned into Bel Air (a gated community like no other), in my effort to turn onto Beverly Glen,

Got tired of waiting to turn onto Beverly Glen, and continued on Sunset

Is that a little museum tucked away among these houses, what with the statues and lawn? Private Property. Wait, is that someone's house?

Into Beverly Hills, and up the familiar Coldwater Canyon.



I'll be making this commute from now on, until I move into a more permanent place. This is not a temp position; I filled out a W-2. I'm going to be here for a while. 

No comments: