Sunday, June 2, 2013

The Invisalign Chronicles 5: Bye, Bye, Braces

After confirming I was happy with the results (I am), the buttons came off. These are small, tooth-colored studs that locked the succession of teeth-moving trays into place. Sort of like Legos, now that I think about it.

As cold as the water was, it was the cold steel (or aluminum) that shocked, hitting my teeth in surprisingly sensitive spots. Is that a sonic reaction with my fillings or is something else going on? Then came the acrid smell of burning metal. Is the instrument failing? If I open my eyes, will I see curling wisps of smoke? Hands clenched as discomfort seeped into pain. The procedure was too short to need a local anesthetic.

But once the buttons were gone, I could return to the days of grazing with impunity. My lips would no longer feel chronically dry. I could wear lipstick without it smearing on the plastic covering my teeth. Because there would be no plastic covering my teeth.

Except

As with all orthodontia, after the braces comes the retainer. In my case, a set of four retainers, the first of which will arrive in a week or so. Over the next six months, I am to wear my retainers 24/7. Except when I eat.

Just like my braces.

So toothbrush, floss, and paste stay in the purse. And continuous eating remains on hold.


<sigh>

No comments: