Friday, May 18, 2012

TRON: Uprising


Flipping through the channels, I saw that TRON: Uprising would be on at 6:30pm. I made a point of watching it.

I'm a little surprised by how much I enjoy the TRON movies. I find the original entertaining because it was meant to be bit cutting edge for its time. They named the accounting program RAM? Really? Truth be told, I really like the light cycle sequence. Despite the age of the special effects, it still mesmerizes me.

Of course, I like TRON: Legacy primarily because Garrett Hedlund is such a cutie pie. Reason #2: Michael Sheen chewing it up at Zuse. This is the guy who played Tony Blair in The Queen. Love how over the top he is in T:L. Reason #3: The colors. Or lack of. Black, White and Red. Interesting set decoration and such.

TRON: Uprising is a new cartoon that takes place before TRON Legacy. Clu has taken over. Tron is thought to be dead. Another program, Beck, rises to take his place and free the Grid from the tyranny of Clu.

It's animation in a computer universe. You've got characters voiced by Elijah Wood, Mandy Moore,
Emmanuelle Chriqui (who also voices Cheetara in the ThunderCats re-boot), Reginald VelJohnson (the dad from Family Matters), and Bruce Boxlietner, reprising his role as Tron. You've got Edward Kitsis and Adam Horowitz, the folks behind Once Upon a Time. What can go wrong?

Maybe it was the tv, but the sound was so loud I couldn't hear the dialogue. The action scenes were uninspiring. I don't know if it was the story or the animation, but I wasn't drawn in. Things seemed promising…but flat. I'm not sticking around to find it in its normal time slot. But I do think it has the potential to be a better show. I hope it improves.

No comments: