Thursday, February 17, 2011

A Forgiveness Question

One morning I was gripped by this question: Does forgiveness equal trust?

I tried to remember the circumstances when Jesus forgave. Was trust ever involved? I thought of how we are to be as innocent as doves and as wise as serpents.

I looked up forgiveness in my bible's concordance: "To pardon; show mercy to".

I looked up forgive in a Merriam Webster dictionary: "To give up resentment of or claim to requital".

I looked up pardon: "The excusing of an offense without exacting penalty".

I looked up trust: "Assured reliance on the character, ability, strength, or truth of someone or something. One in which confidence is placed."

I imagined forgiveness. Free from the hunger for retribution, one shakes the dust off of their shoes and moves on.

A sigh of relief - I don't have to trust to forgive. A concerned pause – It is more difficult to forgive those I distrust.

No comments: