Monday, July 12, 2010

'Eco-Friendly' Bags

I bought two Target branded 'eco-friendly' bags a couple years ago. They were red. One could be folded and zipped, handily fitting into a purse. The other was like a paper grocery bag with handles.

The small bag started to decay, bits of the Target motif flaking, eaten by who knows what. The large bag shed red, staining everything it came into contact with. Cotton had to be washed to remove the usurping dye.

The piece de resistance was when the large bag began to tear. I was toting nothing heavy (the heaviest item being a bottle of astringent), yet by the time I got to my car, a hole was forming, like when the sacred stones burned through the bag in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom.

Now, I kept the bags in the back seat of my car, exposed to sunlight and heat and whatever else. And perhaps 100% non-woven polypropylene should not be in such an environment for an extended period of time. (Without the benefit of handling instructions, there was no way I could ascertain the proper storage locales for such treasures.)

A two-year life cycle on a bag does not shout "eco-friendly" to me. One more reason to practice my sewing by making bags.

No comments: