Tuesday, June 22, 2010

School's Out for Summer-An Edem Update

My first year of the MBA program is done; I have a year and half to go. I earned my first B (B+, actually) courtesy of Managerial Accounting. A hallelujah moment, as I got a solid C on the midterm.

My 'soft' class (i.e., no math) was Business Communications, a marketing course taught by a management professor. There was a lot of reading, but the professor chose books worth keeping. We had to do a Pecha Kucha style presentation - 3 slides, 1 minute per slide, the slides automatically advancing. The topic was "My Business Communication Culture", and I learned a lot about China, India, Mexico, Thailand, Iran....one guy even had a step-by-step diagram of the 'man-hug'. It was awesome.

Thus far, group work has been the bane of my MBA existence. But a friend pointed out that what I'm experiencing - throwing strangers together to complete a project in a month - is common in the real world. Unfortunately, I've been spoiled by my past experiences; we knew what we needed to do to make it happen. At school, half the battle is getting everyone close to the same page. It's probably the most valuable thing I'll learn in school.

My employer signed up with a wellness plan earlier this year. Through the plan, we're participating in a patriotic wellness challenge. We try to walk at least 2.5 miles a week, with a goal of walking 5 miles or more. They give us forgettable tidbits about the American Revolution and the War of 1812. So now I walk for 30 minutes at lunchtime (weather permitting). I plan to keep it up after the challenge ends. Though I'm not sure what to do when winter comes. Dark & cold is why I could never get into excercising in the first place.

The optometrist says my eyes are getting better, so I got a new pair of glasses. I opted for transition lenses; I thought they would do a good job of doubling as sunglasses on super sunny days. What I didn't realize is that they slightly darken (grayen?) in moderate sunlight. So on an overcast day, it's a little too dark.

Now, the lenses don't darken when you're driving. Refraction something something. But, depending on the time of day and the direction I'm driving, the sun shines through my driver's side window and darkens my lenses. Unevenly. The left lens gets really dark, while the right lens gets barely gray. A framed pirate patch, or A Clockwork Orange for everyday living. I wish I could take a picture of it, (if you thought driving while texting was fun, wait 'til you try driving and taking self-portraits!) but alas, I'm not reckless in that way.

To a restful summer,

No comments: